Saturday, July 31, 2010

OEM On Earth Ministries


Yesterday, actually it was Thursday. I rolled up on a fatality car wreck. It was at first a typical fearful reaction on my part. I don't like blood and the scene commander informed me that there was a lot of it. They were still measuring, taking photos, and painting as is usual when there is a fatality wreck. So I positioned the tow truck around front at the correct angle and began. There was an unusual peace within me. Which is or was as I felt "unusual."

I started thinking that maybe this person was saved. I mean what other explanation could there have been? I mean during my last fatality wreck it was the exact opposite, but this one was much different. There was a type of calm all around me. It was more than just superficial, more of a still calm, unprovocative, and I had this unusual sense of peace.

I finished cleaning up the scene, retreated, and as I transported the car to the impound lot along the way I started thinking. This is the way its supposed to be! This person if he or she and I believe it was a he, is in heaven well, what's the problem? Yet, on the flip side if this person was lost and is on his way to hell well, then we've got a real problem. Something had gone awry, either way, now it is to late, now as far as this persons soul is concerned "the eternal destination of the soul" it is too late to change.

As a member of the body of Christ we are each called to bare witness to the truth. We must indeed warn others of their impending fate. I for years actually considered myself to be a full fledged, card carrying, bonafide "Christian." Yet I lacked any real relationship with the Lord. How could that be says or asks the "once saved always saved crowd?" Well for one I don't believe that I was saved! My proof well I had never even considered the principal of repenting from sin. That had much to do with the fact that I'd never considered to what degree my sins were offensive to God. Even though I had many years back said my little prayer, and had asked Jesus to forgive me, and for Him to come into my heart, and for Him to please, please, please save me from hell. I never actually made "Him" meaning Jesus Christ, the Lord of my life. I never truly realized nor felt that what was written in the Bible actually pertained to me specifically: Romans 6:23 "For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord."

How could that be I mean I was a professing "Christian," and why do I think that, one might ask? Well lets take a closer look at my life. I partied, drank, had several brief adulterous relationships or dimmed down "encounters" and I none of it ever bothered me. Sex had become so addictive that it had for the most part consumed my every thought (Exodus 20:14). I also had no relationship with my earthly father or my dad. So much had I despised him that he was the reason I'd left the house and had joined the Army (Exodus 20:12). And I although I had been given much I was never satisfied (Exodus 20:17). I needed more of "it" whatever "it" was. I had an amazing and gifted military career. I was an NCO (I'd been promoted to E-5 in 15 months, and at that time was some kind of a record). I had been involved with several amazing even Godly women. Yet it was never enough. I yearned for, wanted, needed more, and although I had no idea of what I was looking for I looked anywhere and everywhere for "it."

I had been given the Gospel early on as a child and I knew the difference between a church and a cult. I knew about the trinity. I knew about the importance of nearly every single aspect or foundational truth of what a Christian should do and what he should be. Yet I more or less had no desire to seek God's will in my own life. And it wasn't until many many years later, that I came across a crucial crossroad or aspect which had been missing in my walk. It wasn't until God had finally revealed Himself to me that this vital portion of my true salvation that my inspired spiritual conversion began. It wasn't until that point that I actually started to grow in Him and begin to eventually understood what it was that I was lacking.

Primarily what had been missing was any yearning to draw closer to Him or any real beginning of an intimate relationship with God Himself. "He, meaning Jesus Christ" had to become the real Lord of my life, and not just my "Savior." I really couldn't figure any of this out without His help, without true fellowship and without His light in my life.

As we look at Mary and Martha in "Luke 10:38-42 Now it came to pass, as they went, that he entered into a certain village: and a certain woman named Martha received him into her house. 39 And she had a sister called Mary, which also sat at Jesus' feet, and heard his word. 40 But Martha was cumbered about much serving, and came to him, and said, Lord, dost thou not care that my sister hath left me to serve alone? bid her therefore that she help me. 41 And Jesus answered and said unto her, Martha, Martha, thou art careful and troubled about many things: 42 But one thing is needful: and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her." We see that Mary had the right kind of relationship with Jesus.

Prior to actually being born again I lacked the physical desire to have a real relationship with Him. Because I never considered nor did I ever understand His law or better known as the "Ten Commandments." Galatians 3:24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith. then in Galatians 3:11 But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith.

I can say with certainty that it was not until I had learned that my sin carried along with it a price, and that that price was death. And not just the physical death but the eternal death of my soul which had been very carefully hid by the world. I had been completely deceived and I knew nothing of the truth or the very lasting eternal consequences of following a very clever worldly lie. Matt 7:23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

Inequity "anomia"
an-om-ee'-ah
Illegality, that is, violation of law or (generally) wickedness: - iniquity, X transgress (-ion of) the law, unrighteousness.


There are indeed crucial aspects or facets of our Christian faith. We must serve our Lord, we must turn away and repent from our sin. We must somehow look at our sins in the same manner which God regards our sin. Our sin is so repulsive, vile, and it leads those whom are not washed in the blood of our Savior to an eternal death in hell. If our only sin was telling a lie (the ninth commandment, Ex. 20:16) we understand that breaking one commandment is the same as breaking all ten. "James 2:10 For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all."

When we begin to see clearly and understand our own sin in this light we begin to understand what it is that we face. We begin to understand our human sinful condition, and it is only then, after I had been convicted of my own sin, that I ever felt the weight of my impending sentence or doom. But by understanding the scriptures it was as if a policeman had revealed to me that I had to face an impending trail and that I was indeed guilty and that I must plead my case to the judge "God." While understanding this principal and also understanding what Jesus had suffered in my place that I then accepted His payment for my own sin.

When Jesus said that "it is finished," He meant it. He did everything that was necessary for us to enter heaven. We must therefor understand this we must now turn towards Him with a repentant heart all while understanding our true fate and we must individually ask Him for forgiveness and for Him alone paying the penalty for our sin. As we do this we begin a new journey and thus a new life with Him, we must through a plan of discipleship in Him and begin to walk alongside Him in the true light. We begin a walk along our new journey which sheds light along a new path as the Lord reveals His will for our life. Once we finally understand this we truly begin to live.

1 comment:

  1. You have a way with words Chuck, a very good word, many need to see this.

    ReplyDelete